Thursday 16 September 2010

Anger and embarrassment

Manuscript evaluations are fun. I enjoy seeing what writers have come up with and the worlds they have created.

Seventy-five per cent of the time the writing is weak and the story does not hold together, and as a paid professional hired to evaluate the manuscript, it's my job to let the writer know my thoughts. Even if the book sucks, though I couch it a tad nicer than that. You aren't paying me to lie. That costs extra. Kidding.

Most writers can take criticism and feedback, and digest it properly -- towards creating a better story and becoming a better writer. But there are some who take it far too personally and get angry. These are the people I never hear from again, never want to review the evaluation with me; they don't ask questions, seek clarification, or appreciate the fresh perspective. They fall off earth, it seems.

Anger and embarrassment won't get you far as a writer, or in trying to get published.

I'll tell you what I tell all my writers: check your ego at the door because it's the biggest obstacle between you and success in writing.