Friday 18 February 2011

Gender parity in literary publishing?

So more men than women are getting published and reviewed. I don't see how this is at all surprising, and here rears my feminist head.

Women have children and raise children and care for children and STILL maintain households for these children (and as it turns out these children's fathers, too) to thrive in. Until men start having babies and taking on the role of creating and nurturing future generations, there will always be an imbalance.

How do I know this? Why do I feel this? Maybe it's a skewed perspective, but I know it to be true because I live it. Who the hell has time to write and nurture a book idea when we have to nurture a kid idea?

Being a mom is an all-consuming, life-sucking vacuum, and until society gets that, we'll keep "musing" on such topics and skirting the real issue. No musing needed.

Read between the diapers, folks.

http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/index.php/2011/02/11/on-gender-parity-in-literary-publishing